Join the FIT-P May miles challenge; from May 1 through May 31, just run!
To join the challenge:
1) click ‘attending’ on our Facebook (Facebook.com/mofitp) challenge and post:
- a) your name b) your unit c) your last APFT run score (not time)
2) email firstname.lastname@example.org
- a) your name b) your unit c) your last APFT score (not time)
The challenge is to complete MILES, work on SPEED, and FUEL your body well!
A dynamic warm-up should be conducted prior to every workout; an example is the PRT prep drill, MMD1, and MMD2. This is simply a challenge to promote fitness comradery. This is not a full workout regimen. Regular cross training and resistance training are recommended.
Part 1: MILES: These miles must be conducted as a run for exercise, not simply a distance total for a day or week as calculated by a FITBIT or other fitness tracker.
- If your APFT run score is 50 or less, your MILES goal is 5 miles per week.
- If your APFT run score is 51-75, your MILES goal is 8 miles per week.
- If your APFT run score is 76-100, your MILES goal is 10 miles per week.
Part 2: SPEED: prior to each speed workout, a dynamic warm-up AND a light jog of at least ¼ mile should be conducted.
- Week 1 (May 1-7) speed challenge: complete one workout of 6 repetitions of 30:60s (run hard 30 seconds, walk 60 seconds).
- Week 2 (May 8-14) speed challenge: complete one workout of 6 sets of hill repeats (a short, steep hill is ideal; an explosive sprint uphill of 15-20 seconds, followed by walking downhill 60-90 sec.)
- Week 3 (May 15-21) speed challenge: complete one workout of two, 300 yard shuttle runs (sprint 25 yards, turn, sprint 25 yards, repeat 6 times (total of 300 yards)—twice.
- Week 4 (May 22-28) speed challenge: complete one workout of 6 repetitions of 60/120s (run hard 60 seconds, walk 120 seconds).
- Week 5 (May 29-31): Bonus for reporting a cross-training workout (try finding a local ‘Murph’ workout)
Part 3: FUEL:
- Week 1 (May 1-7): Drink at least 64 ounces of water every day all week (try substituting water for a soda or energy drink!)
- Week 2 (May 8-14): Eat at least three servings of veggies every day (pizza is not a veggie) all week
- Week 3 (May 15-21): No soda or energy drinks (regular or diet) all week
- Week 4 (May 22-28): No candy or sweet treats (cookies, candy, cake, donuts) all week
- Week 5 (May 29-31): Try a new veggie (or a veggie prepared in a new way)
Reporting: After your initial post of name, unit, and APFT run score; report weekly if you completed each challenge with a yes or no. For example: ‘week 1, miles- yes!, Speed-no., Fuel-yes! Week one is May 1-7, please report by May 8 (and so on). Final entries for the month are due by June 3, 11:59 pm.
|O-50 APFT Run Score||51-75 APFT Run Score||76-100 APFT Run Score|
|Miles||6 points per week||3 points per week||2 points per week|
|Speed||3 points per week||4 points per week||3 points per week|
|Fuel||7 points per week||5 points per week||4 points per week|
Each point gets your name in a drawing for prizes at the end of the month.
For those who do the alternate aerobic event of the stationary bike for the APFT, you may bike instead, your mileage goal is 16 miles per week. You may complete the speed workouts on the bike (substitute a second set of 60/120s for the 300 yard shuttle sprint).
For those who do the walking aerobic event, you may walk the miles challenge. Your miles goal is 8 miles per week. You may complete the speed workouts with a walk.
Please do not break any profiles!
Email any questions to email@example.com
Challenge your entire unit to participate!